Forums

943 sounds
    205 posts
    Films you love

Hands on a Hard Body

I highly recommend getting a copy of this documentary. Sorry, I can't write reviews as I suck at it. I'll just say I was totally captivated by this contest and the characters involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzj-vb7Lj0A
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116481/

"Games are bad, they make you mad!"
    269 sounds
    56 posts

Pretty much everything John Carpenter has done.

Halloween, The Thing, Escape From New York, They Live...
    All masterpieces.

His compositions are a huge inspiration for me.
    You can always tell when it's a Carpenter piece.

943 sounds
    205 posts

mojomills wrote:
    Pretty much everything John Carpenter has done.

Halloween, The Thing, Escape From New York, They Live...
    All masterpieces.

His compositions are a huge inspiration for me.
    You can always tell when it's a Carpenter piece.

Of his, The Thing and Dark Star are my favourites.

108 sounds
    97 posts

Great, a film thread - I'll play!

Like mojomills, I'll go by directors. I'm an arthouse fan so I'll mention a couple of my faves:

Jean Pierre Jeunet - best known for Amelie (great Yann Tiersen soundtrack) but also other quirky and fun little gems like Delicatessen, Micmacs etc.

Wong Kar Wei - Chungking Express and In The Mood For Love are worth a mention. Chungking Express probably gets a higher profile than it would otherwise because it's known as one of Tarantino's favorites - good music too - it's got a great sound theme used for the first half.

Unfortunately, you'll (probably) have to endure subtitles to appreciate any of those...

371 sounds
    251 posts

For total weirdness and great music i've never seen anything like 'A funky forest'
    .....here's a clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjtpa00mIoY&feature;=related.

And toiletrolltube,thanks for recommending 'Gummo' long ago,a very worthy film imo.

943 sounds
    205 posts

Hi Speedenza, thanks for playing. The more films I haven't heard of the better. Haven't seen Micmacs or anything by Wong Kar Wei, so I'll be looking out.

Hi juskiddink, the clip looks very enticing, love a bit of weirdness so I'll be watching. If there's no extreme horror stuff in it, I might watch with my daughter. She loved Black Moon by Louis Malle and that's pretty weird. Glad you enjoyed Gummo. I'm just waiting for Springbreakers to be released over here, I'm not sure what I'm going to make of it.

It's hard to say who my favourite directors are, but Cassavetes and Woody Allen I adore. There is so many.

219 sounds
    412 posts

I won't say that they're my favorite films or that he's my favorite director - but I really like Oliver Stone's - JFK and Natural Born Killers - particularly the editing and the combination of film styles and sources. I like the collage aspect of it.

Similarly, I also really like Steve Martin's - Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

108 sounds
    97 posts

Toiletrolltube,
    Thanks - good that you kicked off the thread with a documentary; definitely an overlooked genre. I've still got Senna on my 'to see' list. I'm not a great motor sport fan, but everyone raves about it regardless of sporting tastes. Maybe worth a look if you haven't seen it...

And one I have seen - A Separation - again it's a character-driven ensemble piece for the arthouse crowd. If that's your thing, go see it. It's Iranian, subtitled, and depicts a couple in marital turmoil. No, I didn't want to see it either! But it really sucks you in. It's a masterclass in how to structure a film and write a scene.

943 sounds
    205 posts

Hi Speedenza, I'm into all sorts of things and don't really subscribe to any particular genre. But, just for the record, I'm no film critic or buff (whatever that is smile. I'm not even very good at explaining what it is about a film I like. Somehow it just connects on some level. Cassavetes films as an example, move me to tears at times. There doesn't have to be anything emotional going on, I just feel when watching that there's a real powerful, unseen force that pervades his films. Ah, listen, I've gone all pretentious (or mad) and making a fool of me self smile

Anyway, interesting that you should mention Iranian. Now the problem is I drink and watch, (sometimes) it helps me concentrate. I recall watching something on Youtube - I could be wrong - about Iranian families getting illegally installed satellite dishes on their apartments. I'm not sure, it might have been a short documentary, but I got quite drawn into their lives. Anyway, without going on I'll definitely be on the look out for A Seperation, and Senna will be on my to watch list also. Cheers!

Hi Jeff, I haven't seen Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid for many years, but remember really enjoying it. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to dig it out. And of course The Jerk smile Loved the one with Eddie Murphy too, but can't remember the title right now. I still haven't seen JFK. I have seen NBK though, but it was on a strange and dreamlike day and my mind was somewhat distracted.

Ah, now I have to get back to my box of cassette tapes. There's a crappy old noise recording that I've only got in mp3 format on my hard drive. It's driving me mad, ff stop ff stop.

219 sounds
    412 posts

I'm also a big fan of Craig Baldwin's movies (no relation to other Baldwin brothers...):
    Tribulation 99, Spectres of the Spectrum, Mock-Up on Mu... great movies.

943 sounds
    205 posts

thatjeffcarter wrote:
    I'm also a big fan of Craig Baldwin's movies (no relation to other Baldwin brothers...):
    Tribulation 99, Spectres of the Spectrum, Mock-Up on Mu... great movies.

Tribulation 99 sounds interesting, I don't care what the reviewers say. My god, what have I started, this really isn't good for an addict, oh yeah it is smile Cheers Jeff, that's some more new ones to me.

269 sounds
    56 posts

Just watched Rosemary's Baby last night.
    What a haunting movie.
    The soundtrack chills me to the bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFwW8eAy4U

ughughughughughu...creepy.

943 sounds
    205 posts

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010271/

Very disturbing film. Found footage, fake documentary style. On youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsuTTMiSScc but a better quality copy can be found elsewhere on the internet.

Also, this interesting documentary that goes behind the scenes of bondage website Insex.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1326224/

14 sounds
    4 posts

Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective". I've always liked that movie. Full of adventure, suspense, and sadness.....Well, only one small sad part in it towards the end. The movie came out it the late 1980's and it had many famous actors in it like Vincent Price, Paul Dobson, and others. I still have the original VHS tape of that movie. Disney did re-release the same movie with changes to the movies tittle, like "The Adventures Of The Great Mouse Detective" and my version is called "Basil The Great Mouse Detective". But they did not make any changes to the movie itself, just the tittle, witch I think is a bit weird. I own all of Disney's VHS movies, and all of them still work just fine. Send me a Personal message to me if you want to know more, thanks.

YOURS TRULY: --->theblockofsound235<--- (^_^)
    429 sounds
    343 posts

I think it's time for me to watch "the butterfly effect" again. this thread suddenly reminded me smile

And perhaps "Donnie Darko". I just love that kind of movies!

943 sounds
    205 posts

theblockofsound235 wrote:
    Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective". I've always liked that movie. Full of adventure, suspense, and sadness.....Well, only one small sad part in it towards the end. The movie came out it the late 1980's and it had many famous actors in it like Vincent Price, Paul Dobson, and others. I still have the original VHS tape of that movie. Disney did re-release the same movie with changes to the movies tittle, like "The Adventures Of The Great Mouse Detective" and my version is called "Basil The Great Mouse Detective". But they did not make any changes to the movie itself, just the tittle, witch I think is a bit weird. I own all of Disney's VHS movies, and all of them still work just fine. Send me a Personal message to me if you want to know more, thanks.

I think the last Disney film I watched was about some kid that was abducted by an alien (something like that), which I enjoyed very much. Can't remember the title now, and featured the Blancmange video: Lose Your Love (lovely song). I'll have a look at "The Great Mouse Detective" at some point. Cheers.

153 sounds
    1285 posts

District 9

Masterpiece

I am the thing that goes bump in the night...

╭─────────╮
    PLEASE VISIT
    ➤ Phazebook
    ➤ HeadCloud
    ╰─────────╯
    943 sounds
    205 posts

Head-Phaze wrote:
    District 9

Masterpiece

One that's in my unwatched box, will be pulling it out soon. Thanks for the reminder.

943 sounds
    205 posts

Watched yesterday - Dreams of a Life. Don't let the subject matter put you off. A very touching story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1819513/

108 sounds
    97 posts

toiletrolltube wrote:
    Watched yesterday - Dreams of a Life. Don't let the subject matter put you off. A very touching story.

Great choice! I'd advise people not to read too much about it before seeing it. [No spoilers here] It's about a woman, Joyce Vincent, who lay dead in her north London flat for almost three years before being discovered. You've probably read news articles about similar stories, evoking images of an isolated loner, possibly elderly, existing on the margins of society. Except in this case, none of the usual stereotypes seemed to apply - for a start she was just 38 years old - and was possibly even wrapping Christmas presents at the time of her death. The film sets out to answer the questions: Who was Joyce Vincent? And what happened to her? If anyone had written her story as fiction, it wouldn't be believed.