Forums

1 post

103 sounds
    206 posts
    is Internet dying?

"...the Web, as the dominant technological form based on the internet, is now dying, as a result of both mobile apps and social networks. Internet still exists as the infrastructure. But instead of being an interconnected of websites, it is now comprised of a collection of disconnected mobile apps."

This is the opinion of Hossein Derakhshan, a well-known Iranian-Canadian blogger.

Since I am not a coder nor an intellectual (and my english is poor) I leave the word to esteemed technology experts.
    The subject is vast, prejudice is always around the corner, and FreeSound is more for sounds than to discuss life, the universe and everything: I anyway hope these materials will help to better understand the actual situation of the Internet.

Hossein Derakhshan / also known as Hoder, is an Iranian-Canadian blogger, credited with starting the blogging revolution in Iran.
    "The Web We Have to Save""The rich, diverse, free web that I loved - and spent years in an Iranian jail for - is dying. Why is nobody stopping it?"

"Social Media Is Killing Discourse Because It's Too Much Like TV" / from MIT technology Review
    "We need more text and fewer videos and memes in the age of Trump.

an interview
    "The internet started from Pentagon, but it became quickly a utopian project by anti-capitalist technologist or academics. But gradually as its political and economic potentials were revealed, states and corporations jumped on it to control and benefit from it."

Jaron Lanier / American computer philosophy writer, computer scientist, visual artist and composer. Considered a founding father of the field of virtual reality. In the late 1990s Lanier worked on applications for Internet2. From 2006 he began to work at Microsoft.

"Ten Arguments for deleting your social media accounts right now" / 2018, book by J.L. / from J.L. website
    "You're losing your free will.
    Quitting social media is the most finely targeted way to resist the insanity of our times.
    Social media is making you into an asshole.
    Social media is undermining thruth.
    Social media is making what you say meaningless.
    Social media is destroying your capacity for empathy.
    Social media is making you unhappy.
    Social media doesn't want you to have economic dignity.
    Social media is making politics impossible.
    Social media hates your soul."

Tegenlicht interviews Jaron Lanier / here's my non-professional and unauthorized italian translation
    "The Google business plan is the greatest threat to freedom in the internet, greater than the NSA, greater than any censor, because it's directly making money from controlling what people know about, and that is a huge problem."

Aral Balkan / cyborg right activist, designer, and developer. He's one third of Ind.ie, a tiny not for profit working for social justice in the digital age. At Ind.ie he works on Better, an ethically designed privacy tool that stops you from being tracked while surfing the web on Safari on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

"Encouraging individual sovereignty and a healthy commons" / from Aral Balkan's website
    (article in English, Nederlands, Français, Catalan, Español, Deutsch)
    "Mark Zuckerberg’s manifesto outlines his vision for a centralised global colony ruled by the Silicon Valley oligarchy. I say we must do the exact opposite and create a world with individual sovereignty and a healthy commons."

"We didn't lose control: it was stolen" / from Aral Balkan's website
    "The Web we have is not broken for Google and Facebook. People farmers are reaping the rewards of their violations into our lives to the tune of tens of billions in revenue every year. How can they possibly be our allies?"

"Excuse me, your unicorn keeps shitting in my back yard, can he please not?" / video
    "Are we being farmed for profit without even knowing?"

Tristan Harris / spent three years as a Google Design Ethicist developing a framework for how technology should “ethically” steer the thoughts and actions of billions of people from screens. In 2016, Tristan left Google to work full-time on reforming the attention economy with the non-profit initiative, Time Well Spent. (from TH website)

"Social Media's Dark Side: How Facebook and Snapchat Try to Steal Our Self-Worth" / Big Think video

"Distracted? Let's make technology that helps us spend our time well" / TEDx Talks video

"How a handful of tech companies control billions of minds every day" / TED video

Shoshana Zuboff / "I've dedicated this part of my life to understanding and conceptualizing the transition to an information civilization. Will we be the masters of information, or will we be its slaves? There's a lot of work to be done, if we are to build bridges to the kind of future that we can call home." / from SZ website

"The Secrets of Surveillance Capitalism" / article from Frankfurter Allgemeine - English version
    "Governmental control is nothing compared to what Google is up to. The company is creating a wholly new genus of capitalism, a systemic coherent new logic of accumulation we should call surveillance capitalism. Is there nothing we can do?"

Aneesh Aneesh / Stanford University, University of Wisconsin / author of Virtual Migration (2006) who put forward the concept of "algocracy" now widely used to convey the growing importance and threat of algorithms in social life. The idea of algocracy means governance by computer algorithms, instead of bureaucratic rules or surveillance.

Algocratic Governance / PDF 116KB
    Technologically Coded Authority: The Post-Industrial Decline in Bureaucratic Hierarchies
    "In an ideal typical sense, the new form of management - or what I call algocracy, i.e., the rule of algorithm - shifts from its industrial predecessor chiefly in two respects. First, domination is less and less distributed through elaborate worker hierarchies; rather, it is increasingly effected through information and software systems that structure the possible forms of work behavior. Second, algocratic governance appears to partly transform the early subject-object relationships, where a superordinate as an observing subject must watch over the work of a subordinate. This shift is marked by an authority relation enabled through information systems and networks, where all are subordinated as nodes in such networks. My argument relates the continued disintegration of vertical management to the emerging architecture of information systems."

1 post