Forums

2064 sounds
    2235 posts

About lenght of sounds. - There is no limit (at least in theory and from a moderator's perspective).

The system does not support upload of files 1Gb or larger... Why would anyone ever need to upload a sound file that big is beyond me, but anyway that is the technical limit.

Moderators would not reject most types of sounds based on lenght.
    But there is one type of sound where this can be a deciding factor: Music.

Generally music is not accepted at Freesound (there are other places for that: Soundcloud, CCMixter, Bandcamp...). We just want sounds, no music.
    However, we make an exception for very short pieces (like your sound called "Two Five's".
    30s is about the limit for such pieces. Larger than that would get rejected.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

Ok, cheers.

I EXPORTED (in 'Cubase') all of my Wav files a 44.1k/16-bit. Obviously, if I used 96k/24-bit then the files would be much larger. So maybe the upper limit of 1GB is reached because of these factors?!

I am going to upload some MOOG recordings I made later tonight (in a dedicated 'pack'). I have only made a handful though because I started the 'DX' ones 18 x months ago.

I used up my SoundCloud (free) 2 x hour allowance practically straight away! In any case, it has not led to anything so it just sits there pretty much stagnant. Even more so for BandCamp!

Paul

Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 Mk1 & DX21 / Mini Moog / Multi Moog / Korg Poly 61 / Roland Juno 6 / Roland XV5050 (module). Cubase Pro 8.5 / Sibelius 7. Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
    2064 sounds
    2235 posts

In terms of places to upload stuff, why not try archive.org?
    Maybe you already have an account there...

Listening to some of the stuff you have on soundcloud, it could be allowed here. I am talking especially about anything that is an improvisation on a single instrument. Which you could upload here tagged as "improvisation" and "jamming".
    Complete/complex pieces with multiple instruments are likely to be rejected if longer than ~30s.

Why?
    Because the idea here at Freesound is to offer sounds, including musical sounds for people to use in their music composition.
    So someone can take your piano solo and add to it. OR cut it up and completely mess it up. You may not like all works that are created from your sounds. But provided attribution is given, we have no other claim on any of the sounds we upload here under the Attribution license.
    By uploading sounds here you accept that smile

So, provided you feel that is appropriate for your sounds, maybe there are some sounds on your Soundcloud account that you could upload here.
    Wait for the sound to be accepted, and then delete it from Soundcloud, thus freeding more space for newer/better musical pieces you want to share with the world...

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

No, I had not heard of that one thanks. But I will take a look. However, this is all a bit of fun and I am not the type of person who is too bothered about dominating forums or social media with my music. I am actually thinking of closing down a lot of my online accounts! And I think I will just leave my SoundCloud as it is because it hardly gets any 'hits' so I am not intending to spend time re-vamping it. It is what it is!

Thanks for listening to my music uploads! I really don't might at all what people do with my material should they choose to download it. As long as they credit me and don't unethically rip-me-off.

I have just finished off uploading the remainder of my 'DX' synth self-creations . . .

Ta,

Paul

Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 Mk1 & DX21 / Mini Moog / Multi Moog / Korg Poly 61 / Roland Juno 6 / Roland XV5050 (module). Cubase Pro 8.5 / Sibelius 7. Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

If people have downloaded an audio-file (from a 'pack'), then does this generally mean that they are going to use it within one of their personal projects, or do people download simply because they like the sound(s) and want to listen to them as recreation?

If members have downloaded, then are they obliged to leave a 'comment' in the verbatim box?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

Does it matter if sounds are EXPORTED (and UPLOADED) in '32-bit' please?

Cheers,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2235 posts

Hey Paul

We don't know what the users do with the sounds once they download them. I bet in some cases, only God knows and the user himself cannot remember downloading it or whaere he put it...

Some people are sound hoarders...erm, I mean collectors and download a lot of stuff (myself included in this category).
    Very often you have to download several sounds to try on a project, but only one gets used. The others don't get credited.

And lets not even get started on all the unfinished musical projects sitting on people's hardrives (sigh!)... since most of them never get finished.

Past all of that... of course many sounds get used indeed for musical (or other projects). Not everyone gives credit as they should. And there is not much you or Freesound can do about it, unless your sound makes it to a song on the UK top 10 without attribution, or a big movie...

Comments and start ratings are entirely optional. There are plenty of sounds there with 200 downloads and not a single rating or comment.

I want to believe.
    2064 sounds
    2235 posts

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
    Does it matter if sounds are EXPORTED (and UPLOADED) in '32-bit' please?

Well, it makes the files bigger...

If I got my facts right, 16-bit @ 44kHz sampling rate is CD quality. You would have thought that is high quality enough, but no...
    Nowadays we have 24-bit and 32-bit sounds. With 64-bit operating systems now being the norm, maybe it is not too long until we start seeing a 64-bit sound format supported somewhere...

I am not sure if we can actually hear the difference. Especially between 24 and 32 bit.

Same goes for sample rates. A sampling rate of 44 or 48kHz can accurately represent the highest frequencies that the human hear can detect, and our sensitivity is pretty low at such high frequencies.
    Yet, even a low-end audio recorder like my Zoom H1 supports recording at 96kHz / 24bit.

Honestly, I really only use this high sampling rate if I am trying to capture ultrasounds.

For recorded sounds, such high sampling rates and bit definitions only make sense if the audio that is recorded with these settings is very high quality to begin with - meaning studio recordings with top end mics and signal chains.
    On the other hand, now that so many sounds are generated 'inside the box', i.e. entirely computer generated, audio and electronic noise does not exist. So, yes, if you are generating these sounds out of your DAW at 24 or 32 bit you can get a better quality sample...
    I would still say that physically, I cannot hear the difference between 24 and 32 bit. Maybe I just need better speakers (or better ears...)

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi Alien,

Yes, well maybe you are correct in that people download things for a variety of reasons.

Do you know, I have never purchased/downloaded an mp3 track ever in my life! I still much prefer to own the physical CD.

I confess that I own a couple of HD's full of stuff I have never even looked at! People insist on giving me materials (despite me telling them I will never use it) and probably 500GB has just sat there unused for a good 5 x years!

I do not have any recording projects sitting there stagnant/redundant, but I have had a backlog of 'Sibelius' arrangements which need addressing (since 2012!).

That is rather disappointing to hear that after so many downloads people have not bothered to leave any comments. Personally, if I hear something I like (say on 'You Tube') then I always give it a thumbs up and thank the uploader. Just seems like good old fashioned manners to me!

Ta,

Paul

73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

Yes, 44.1/16-bit is CD quality. Though the thing I have never understood is that everyone tells me the audio format on a CD is Wav files. Yet when I go to 'rip' a CD or view it's contents, they always seem to show as mp3's (to me)?!

It is possible to detect the difference between 16-bit and 24 (if you have a keen and healthy ear), but I very much doubt us hearing up to 32-bit? Unless of course you are an Alien!

It seems that when you upload a Wav to FreeSound, the system detects what the sample-rate is (because it is displaying this information on my tracks and I did not type it in). But from now on, I think I will try and stick to 48kHz/24-bit. I personally do not see the need to go any higher for the purposes of FreeSound. Plus it will take damn near forever to upload! lol

In case you had not noticed, my recordings to date are of external synthesizers being recording (via my Steinberg soundcard) directly into 'Cubase'. Sometimes, with the 'DX' and 'Moog' keyboards there is some aliasing as on the track "Flow" during the closing passage:

https://www.freesound.org/people/monsterjazzlicks/sounds/347263/

That is the 'DX' and there is nothing that can be done about it unfortunately. Some might argue that it is a 'character' of the instrument. That may be so, but it is not a very GOOD character!

I opened a thread earlier today on making SAMPLES of my own synth. Not sure if the topic might interest you or not?:

https://www.freesound.org/forum/off-topic/38615/

Cheers,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2235 posts

Yes, Freesound detects a lot of data about the file format, probably from the file headers (don't know the technical stuff).

Sounds on CD are uncompressed, so they really are wav format. Many ripping programs convert to mp3, since most people ripping CDs wanted to put their entire CD collection onto their hard-drive or were excited to be able to compress 10 CDs into one using mp3.

I do not know how many bits in the DX21, but for sure not 32 or even 24. Seems unnecessary to go up to these bitdepths, especially if the sound is not 'hi-fi' to begin with.

Surprising how many bit-rate / bit-depth reducing VST plugins there are. Looks like there is a lo of interest in introducing digital artifacts into sounds that don't have them for musical purposes. Go figure...

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

If someone COMMENTS on one of my uploads, then do I receive an email notification please? Or if not, can such a message be activated within UCP 'settings'?

Otherwise, it would entail myself having to scroll through all circa 80 x sounds (so far) just to see if anyone has left any verbatim?!

Cheers,

Paul

73 sounds
    88 posts

Alien,

Well as far as I can remember, whenever I have gone to RIP and CD via my laptop, it is always an mp3 format/icon which shows. I wonder then if I might need to alter the settings in order for it to show Wav by default?

And so, to reiterate what you are saying, maybe the contents of a CD are Wav but most PC's (are configured to) assume that the user wants to RIP them in an mp3 format?

Ta,

Paul

73 sounds
    88 posts

Alien,

The 'DX' synths I think are '12-bit' across the board but don't quite me on that! I am going to check on another forum I used to often frequent (so I will confirm this if I get an answer).

So are you saying that if a synth is (say) '16-bit', then when you RECORD and EXPORT it (say in 'Cubase') then it needs to be also in '16-bit'?

Cheers,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2235 posts

Hi Paul,

I think I have seen it somewhere that the DXs are 12 bit, but yes would be great if you could confirm. I am curious now.

You can record whatever you want at whatever bit-rate and bit-depth resolution you want. It is not really a rule, but if you are recording a digital source into a digital media you should consider:
    1) There isn't much benefit (if any at all) to record at a significantly higher bit-rate and/or bit-depth than what the source can provide. Example: recording the sound from a CD at 96kHz and 24-bit will not make a better recording since the CD itself is only 44kHz and 16-bit.
    2) Recording at a lower bit-rate and/or bit-depth than the source will cause some loss of quality. Example, a recording of the same CD at 22kHz 16-bit will sound lower quality than the original.

I would say, for most things 44kHz @ 16 bit will suffice. Use 24-bit if you prefer.
    If you are using professional/high quality equipment to record, than maybe it makes sense to go to a higher digital sample-rate. Otherwise, it really is just making your files bigger.

As for the CD ripping, check the Settings / Options / Preferences of your software. I am pretty sure you will find a selection of output formats (or file formats) and you will be able to select WAV instead of MP3.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

I have posted a thread on the Yamaha 'DX' forum if you wanted to have a quick read out of curiosity (though you may need to be a member to access it unfortunately):

http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t;=7773&p;=49098#p49098

If you can't access it then I can cut&paste; the reply here if you would still like to assist me.

It has become evident that all the 'DX' models are in fact different!

Paul

2064 sounds
    2235 posts

My interest is a mere curiosity.
    Even if there are newer DX models that are 16 bit and higher, I am pretty sure your model isn't.
    So, we have the answer in relation to your particular recording requirements. Recording yor DX at 44kHz and 16-bit is perfectly adequate.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

Cheers so 44.1kHz and not 48. And EXPORT the at SAME parameter values I used for RECORDING in?

btw - Where in the UK are you based please? I am on the Wirral.

Ta,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2235 posts

Not much difference between 44 or 48kHz in terms of quality or file size,
    I tend to use 44 because it eas the standard on some of my hardware/software

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Alien,

Ha ha . . . you were correct about not many folk leaving a feedback about the downloaded sounds! Not one person has so far! lol

Also, do you know if I will get an email notification from FreeSound in the unlikely event that a member does in fact leave a comment?

Ta,

Paul