Forums

• previous
  • next
  •  |  46 posts

73 sounds
    88 posts
    RE: Newibie Questions (advice?)

Hi folks,

I joined here earlier in the year and am now ready to UPLOAD some (less than 20 x second) sounds which may be used (by members) for (say) Intro/Outro music of 'You Tube' videos.

I have looked at peoples accounts etc and also read some posts in the forum, but I wanted to ask please:

It seems, some people have their material categorised into PACKS. For instance, they may have (say) 10 x 'Horror Music' samples placed together as a particular genre. But other members just upload everything and leave it UNSORTED (so it just sits in a general chronological order).

Is it important to pigeon-hole everything and is this difficult to do please?

Thanks very much indeed for any kind help offered.

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 Mk1 & DX21 / Mini Moog / Multi Moog / Korg Poly 61 / Roland Juno 6 / Roland XV5050 (module). Cubase Pro 8.5 / Sibelius 7. Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi again,

And does it really mater if my UPLOADS were to be in either Wav. or mp3 format please? I am pretty sure that 'Windows Movie Maker' only accepts the latter format anyway.

Cheers,

Paul

Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 Mk1 & DX21 / Mini Moog / Multi Moog / Korg Poly 61 / Roland Juno 6 / Roland XV5050 (module). Cubase Pro 8.5 / Sibelius 7. Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
    2064 sounds
    2239 posts

Hi

There are no rules for packs.
    The general idea is that you could keep related sounds together so they are easier for other users to download. For example: samples of all the piano keys, or all the drums in a drum kit.
    But there is no rule about how you group your sounds together. It is up to you. Not all sounds need to be in packs. Some people don't use packs at all.

What is important is that each sound is described and tagged appropriately. Tags and descriptions are used in searches. That is how people will find the sounds they are looking for.

We prefer the sounds to be wav or other uncompressed formats.
    Mp3 compression always causes quality loss.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Thanks Alien,

That's great man.

Am I given the option to create a FOLDER during/after the UPLOADING (of the Audio file) process? I don't see the choice to create one if you do not have any current uploads (as in my case).

Some people have an mp3 file, but then they IMPORT it into the likes of 'Audacity' or 'Cubase' and EXPORT it as a Wav. Although the file (MB) SIZES (ie. mp3 vs. Wav.) are significantly different, I believe this practice is a pointless exercise for the simple reason than the SOURCE (ie. mp3) is already COMPRESSED and so can not be improved upon!?

Cheers,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2239 posts

Packs don't exactly work like folders:
    You cannot have packs inside a pack (subfolders) and you cannt have empty packs.
    Since there can be no empty packs, deleting the last sound on a pack also deletes the pack.

There are 3 steps to upload sounds to freesound:
    1) upload the files
    2) describe the files. - at this stage you add tags and descriptions. You are also given the option to add the sound to a pack or create a new pack.
    3) moderation - freesound moderators listen to all sounds, check descriptions and tags. If the Moderator has questions he will contact you. Moderators do not reject sounds due to contents (except for copyright) or quality. So swearwords or political speeches are allowed, badly recorded sounds will be allowed too.

When I was young i converted many sounds from mp3 to wav, believing I was restoring the sound to pristine quality. In reality all you get is a pristine reproduction of the artifacts introduced by the mp3 compression.
    Mp3 compression is far more efficient than zipping a sound file to reduce size but this is because, unlike with zipping, data is lost in the compression. So the compressed file is reconstructed to something less than the original. Just like images compressed hard with jpeg or gif algorithms become pixelated.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Thanks a lot Alien,

I have just spent a couple of hours going through some of my stuff which may be suitable. Some were actual SONG and so the were eliminated.

Can I UPLOAD the whole lot in on hit? Or do I have to do each one individually please?

Cheers,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2239 posts

The upload page supports multiple file uploads at once. I think it works with all browsers, but I could be wrong.
    How well this works could also depend on your internet connection.

But you can upload as many files as you want. IF you upload lots, moderation of all of them might take a while.
    Also, remember there will be files from others in the moderation queue too.

Start uploading, my friend. See what happens...

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Thanks Alien,

I have about 1 x GB to UPLOAD. Not sure if that is a large amount or not? Obviously its appreciably bigger then if they were COMPRESSED.

I omitted a lot of my material based upon the advice from yourself and HeadPhaze.

I will have a try now and see what happens . . .

Ta,

Paul

73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi again,

The system just won't allow me to upload MULTIPLE files. Maybe because I am a total newbie? I keep getting error messages etc.

Looks like they will have to be done individually which will take damn weeks! lol

Cheers,

Paul

73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

Had to do it all the long way and so the whole thing ended up taking around 7 x hours from top to bottom!

Not sure how long it will take for the Moderators to wade through all of the material? There are about 50 x uploads so far but I am not sure if that is a large amount to have on one's profile? I would guess that the average FreeSound member has circa: 200 files?

Cheers,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2239 posts

There are 180 files on the moderation queue at the moment (including yours which are towards the back of that queue). Might take a couple of days to have them all moderated.

I find that what takes longer is describing the files, not the upload.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi Alien,

That was cool how you were able to detect the length of the Moderation queue?!

I was more or less able to COPY&PASTE; the descriptions because they were all performed on the same synth.

They are all my own compositions and all sounds were completely programmed by myself (over the past 18 x months). I also performed these and recorded/mixed them within 'Cubase'. Therefore, I have not involved a '3rd party' in any way and so hopefully all of the uploads should hopefully meet the required Moderation criteria.

Will I get an email notification once they have been approved or rejected please?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2239 posts

I can see how long the queue is because I am one of the Moderators.

You will get an email to notify you of approval OR with questions from the Moderator.
    Sometimes those go to the spam folder. So keep an eye on it.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

Oh ok, I see. I better keep on your good side if you are a Mod! But I don't think it states your name next to your name?

So the notifications are sent to my email address rather than on here?

Cheers,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2239 posts

That is a good point: looking at someone's name or home page here you cannot tell if they are a mod.
    Maybe we like to keep a low profile. In any case our powers are pretty limited: we can only approve/reject sounds into the database.

If you find something not working we cannot fix it. Only the site admins can do that.
    Best option to contact support is to go to the help tab below the Freesound logo you have Home, Sounds, Forums, People, Help). The contact form is at the end of that page.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

When the sounds are approved/uploaded, is it possible please for the user to REORDER the tracks? Or are you stuck with the order in which the FreeSound Moderators APPROVE them?

Thanks,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2239 posts

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
    When the sounds are approved/uploaded, is it possible please for the user to REORDER the tracks? Or are you stuck with the order in which the FreeSound Moderators APPROVE them?

When uploaded, each file is given an number by the system. That number cannot be changed.

However, you can add sounds to a pack. I believe the sounds will appear in the pack not in numerical order, but by the order which you have added them to the pack.
    So I guess, if you move sounds to a new pack, it is possible to control exactly in what order the sounds will appear. - I guess in most cases this is a lot more work that it is worth...

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi,

Ok, thanks. I see now.

I was asking because (in hindsight) I should have uploaded them in order of superiority. Meaning, ideally, one would have their best showcase tracks placed towards the top of the list! But I doubt I am going to make any amendments because it will be too time consuming in addition to the amount of time I have spent compiling these in the first instance.

On a separate matter, something which is confusing me is that when you click on my 'monsterjazzlicks' page which displays a full list of my uploads:

https://www.freesound.org/people/monsterjazzlicks/

Take for instance the very first track "Two Five's" - it states that there have been 'zero' DOWNLOADS (of this track) to date. However, when you actually click on the title of the track itself (ie. to view further information in more detail), the 'counter' indicates that there has been (to date) 2 x DOWNLOADS:

https://www.freesound.org/people/monsterjazzlicks/sounds/347296/

I am really not sure how this apparent contradiction is possible?

Thanks very much indeed,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2239 posts

This is due to the fact that the information on your profile page is not realtime.
    The summary of sounds and the info there is only updated with a certain frequency.

The sound page is up-to-date.
    So if it says 2 downloads, you have had 2 downloads.
    You can even click where it says downloads and see the names of the users who have downloaded.

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Thanks a lot,

Thats helpful to know, cheers.

In another thread, I think it was HeadPhaze who advised me that uploads should be relatively short in their duration. Otherwise, lengthy material is likely to be rejected my the Moderating team (fair enough!).

But it appears that there are quite a few offerings of which are over quarter-of-an-hour long and so this puzzles me with reference to the aforementioned statement(?):

https://www.freesound.org/people/FREITOJOS/sounds/346947/

(I hope its ok to post a LINK to another members material purely for the purpose of illustrating my point).

Thanks,

Paul

• previous
  • next
  •  |  46 posts