Forums

11 posts

73 sounds
    88 posts
    RE: Vocal Isolation Software (help?)

Hi folks,

I am looking to find an isolated VOCAL TRACK of female singer Evelyn Thomas on her 1984 song:
    "HIGH ENERGY".

I believe these are called ACAPPELLAS?

I have found many sites which claim to offer this, however when you click on the LINK of the song, it diverts you to gambling, financial sites and alike instead. I have been looking on and off since last Monday although today I have spent around 3 x hours trying to source what I need.

I don't mind paying for a copy of an isolated-vocal plus an instrumental track as long as the quality is acceptable. Or maybe a fellow member on this site has 'MELODYNE' software (or similar) and is able and kind enough to perform the task for a reasonable fee?

My master-plan is to make SLICES and LOOPS from the INSTRUMENTAL version (in Cubase). Then I hope to RE-ARRANGE these chunks to form the basis of a new structure. After that, my aim is to layer a couple of hardware synths over the top (eg. Korg Poly 61 and Yamaha DX7); these will either duplicate material on the track and/or add new textures/motifs. Finally (if I get that far!), this is where I was hoping to obtain a pure melody vocal track so that I can chop it up and manipulate it as I see fit for the purposes of the project.

Many thanks in advance . . .

Paul David Seaman

Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 Mk1 & DX21 / Mini Moog / Multi Moog / Korg Poly 61 / Roland Juno 6 / Roland XV5050 (module). Cubase Pro 8.5 / Sibelius 7. Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
    328 sounds
    2815 posts

This is not legal because you'd have to pay the copyright holder to gain the rights to use the a cappella version, which is why you keep getting redirected to phishing websites because they prey on people being pirates.

I shouldn't really be saying this but here goes...

If you can find an instrumental version (without the vocal channel included) you can put the original and the instrumental together and invert the phase of the instrumental, and you'll be left with an a cappella.

You might have to buy the instrumental. I think it will be available because of karaoke purposes. You need the tracks to be identical apart from the missing vocal channel. This is because in order to remove the music, both tracks need to be in-phase with perfect alignment.

In Cubase you can right click on the audio event and select [Process -> Phase Reverse]

This will essentially turn the waveform upside down so that the two waveforms of the music are opposites, so they effectively equal zero gain and become silenced; you'll be left with only the vocal track.

p.s. you can't extract a vocal from a composite music track with Melodyne, it doesn't work very well. The above method does work, as long as the two audio files are the same length and one hasn't been modified sonically.

I am the thing that goes bump in the night...

73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi Head Phaze,

Thank you very much indeed for your reply today.

Yes, someone else suggested I also try the method you suggested.

The problem I am having (and I understand why from your explanation) is that I did actually find many INSTRUMENTAL versions of 'High Energy'. However, not one of them MATCHES the original Evelyn Thomas version.

My procedure was this:

I lined up both the tracks (in Cubase) only to discover that although they are circa the same duration, they are in fact quite different (FORM-wise)! Plus, the Instrumental version is a semitone LOWER than the vocal (original) release! I have no idea why the recording studio would make a vocal-less version on the B-side in a different KEY?

I assumed (incorrectly though understandably) that the B-side cut was just a reproduction of the A-side albeit with the vocal track lifted.

Now, after spending a couple hours messing around and downloading/testing different versions (to see if I can find two which pair up), I think I am going to have to find another solution to this problematic scenario. One way might be to TRANSPOSE one of the versions (to match the other) and then just use (ie SLICE) the vocal sections where she is singing over sustained chords (ie. where there are no rhythmic events happening). I might be able to drop these in at certain points over the Instrumental track and it not sound too bad.

I do not think there is, readily available, an Instrumental version of the original which matches up 100%. Someone may well have a version themselves, but I don't think one exists on You-Tube or similar (after spending much time searching myself). And I did check some Karaoke sites as you recommended.

Otherwise, we may have gone full circle in that I will need to purchase a dedicated software to remove the vocal parts. But from what you are saying, MELODYNE might not be the ultimate solution. When you look at the likes of MELODYNE's demonstrations on You Tube (or wherever), they always seem to make it look so easy as well as the end result sounding nothing less than perfect. I guess this could be viewed as more of a sales pitch rather than a true representation of the finished product and the amount of time and effort that the end user has had to put into producing it.

Many thanks,

Paul

Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 Mk1 & DX21 / Mini Moog / Multi Moog / Korg Poly 61 / Roland Juno 6 / Roland XV5050 (module). Cubase Pro 8.5 / Sibelius 7. Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
    328 sounds
    2815 posts

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
    I have no idea why the recording studio would make a vocal-less version on the B-side in a different KEY?

Probably to combat people trying to rip the vocal track as an a cappella. cool

[Edit] I just remembered it was released in the 80s so phase reversing a vocal wasn't very known technology. so probably a different reason (unless the instrumental was released much later)

----

Well that is a predicament isn't it.

Your plan B sounds like a robust secondary solution, just try and see what comes of it I guess.

The problem with audio editing plug-ins like Melodyne is that they analyse and deconstruct an audio file, but it still remains a composite, so any destructive editing that is done has a slight effect on the vocal channel, and this builds up the more elements you try to remove as i'm sure you're aware; within the frequency spectrum there lies a few bands that are shared by all simultaneous sounds. Therefore, these programs offer only an impaired way of isolating certain components.

Melodyne has gotten progressively more sophisticated over the years, so it's much better equipped to do a fairly decent job of deconstruction. I remember when it first came out, it was quite primitive.

Remember, it's always worth a try...

Good luck

73 sounds
    88 posts

Thanks Phaze,

Yes, I agree with you totally here. You seem to have a little more understanding than I do myself 'scientifically' speaking.

There is a TRIAL version of MELODYNE but I don't know if I really like INSTALLING s/w on my PC for the sake of try_before_you_buy. Unless you do a SYSTEM RESTORE, it always leaves some kind of unwanted residue when you UNINSTALL after the time-bomb has expired. Plus you keep getting annoying pop-ups etc. I have usually been quite lucky in that what I have is popular amongst my friends, so hence I can ask their opinions. But I can't seem to get a definite on MELODYNE.

There is another s/w which is much lower in RRP:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/r-mix/

albeit, I know even less about this latter!

Best,

Paul

328 sounds
    2815 posts

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
    Unless you do a SYSTEM RESTORE, it always leaves some kind of unwanted residue when you UNINSTALL after the time-bomb has expired.

Not if you directly edit the registry (Windows) or the root Library (Mac OSX), however this is not recommended unless you are sure of what you're deleting.

73 sounds
    88 posts

Well I once had a s/w 'Tune Up Utilities' and it just kept causing so many conflicts with my Cubase that I ended up UNINSTALLING an putting it down to a waste of twenty quid! Also, Steinberg said they were aware of it causing many issues with their Cubase customers PC's.

If worst comes to the worst on the 'High Energy' escapade, then I will sack off the VOCALS and just work with the INSTRUMENTAL version. Otherwise I am never going to get started . . .

73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi folks,

A couple of mates recommended AUDACITY (which is free as you will know).

Because, it seems, there is no facility on here to UPLOAD files to one's thread (not sure why this is so), I have LINKED the below-mentioned to my Google-Drive:

Please see screenshots and mp3 of VOCAL ISOLATION result within Audacity. Albeit unfortunately, the end result is not usable. However, there is a FREQUENCY BAND selection that can be adjust to suit.

Also, for the fun of it, I ran a REVERSE AUDIO process (sounds quite good at the start!).

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByepppzJGXGeRGQ1b1F5U1BYS2s&usp;=sharing

Thanks,

Paul

73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi again,

For anyone interested, in July coming, LT Sound are releasing a new VOCAL ISOLATOR s/w. They currently offer something priced (rather highly) at over $2K! But, this new version will be £600.

Cheers,

Paul

2064 sounds
    2223 posts

How clean does the vocal need to be?
    If yhou are planning on playing this on top of other elements (remixed version of the instrumental), a slight 'bleed' of other sounds into your 'isolated' vocal might be acceptable.

If you are familiar with mid/side processing what I am going to say might make a lot of sense:
    Usually the vocal is bang on centre on the stereo field. Other elements (drums, guitar, piano) often are slightly panned.
    I am assuming you are working with a stereo recording, so discard the 'side' information and keep only the 'middle'. This, of course, will make your audio mono, but that will be fine for the extracted acapela.
    If you are not familiar with mid/side processing (or even if you are), here is a free plugin that can make life a lot simpler. MSED from Voxengo:
    http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

My idea is that even if the 'middle' contains more than just the vocal, there should be less things to remove in order to isolate the vocal. Traditional tools like EQ might be sufficient.
    If a slight residue of other sounds is still present, maybe you can mask that when you mix the vocal back into your track...

I want to believe.
    73 sounds
    88 posts

Hi Alien,

Thank you very much for joining in this thread!

Well, I heard of what you are talking about in a slightly different way. It was called something like CENTRE PANNING where, because the Vocal is typically PANNED in the centre of the mix, the software targets this area exclusively hence isolating it from the entirety on the track (song). I think this is the same as your suggestion.

Ok, now this would be fine (I guess) in an ideal world, but (unfortunately) because (I recently discovered) that the (A side) ORIGINAL and (B side) INSTRUMENTAL versions are in different KEYS, the 'bleed' which you describe will certainly be an issue. I hope I have explained this ok.

In any event, I have downloaded the VOXENGO s/w thanks.

Ta,

Paul

11 posts