Forums

4 posts

888 sounds
    75 posts
    GDC's 30+ GB sound effect library

I wonder if these sounds have effectively been released as Public Domain?

https://sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc18/

They said no attribution is required, commercial use is allowed, no royalties and no limitations.

It's a sample of much larger sound effects collections so I guess they hope people who use this will buy more if they like it - but I wonder what is the licensing on these sounds precisely.

Have anyone dug into this?

Wanna learn about music proudction? YouTube
    2071 sounds
    2234 posts

That seems to be exactly what it is: a free, royalty-free selection from their paid libraries. Given away as a free sample to attract people to buy their products.
    Very nice of them!

Definitely the sounds can be used creatively without limits.

They may have put something in the small print against re-distribution (i.e., including the sounds as they are in any sample packs, paid for or not).

I want to believe.
    0 sounds
    1 post

I thought it was great of them

o melhor site do mundo http://aposentadoaos25.com/
    328 sounds
    2908 posts

The answer is no, these sounds are not in the public domain, they still have a license agreement.

These "free" samples come with a standard single-user royalty free license.

They are restriction free, but you can't republish the sounds as they are, unchanged, for example here on freesound. That would breach the license terms. Which is a standard for all professional sample libraries regardless of wether they are released free of charge.

I was exchanging emails with the main guy from Sonniss a few years back when they released the first GDC library. He did send me a license document because I asked for it. I can't seem to find an EULA as an example to show you, buried somewhere deep in my email.

I am the thing that goes bump in the night...

The Freesound Team

4 posts