Forums

412 sounds
    40 posts

LS
    because you didn't program it or record it in to the software to begin with.

recording a real instrument is totally different.

Someone building an acoustic instrument is a sound designer, so is someone creating a synth preset.

2 sounds
    62 posts

HK - For the longest time process never really interested me, it was always the result that focused my attention. Nowadays I work believing the process is as valuable as the result and often more so. Sometimes I start with a method that leads to an idea, sometimes I start with an idea that leads to a method, one determines the other. I feel that's somehow connected with the cool performance piece you describe...? There are a zillion ways of making something good, right now process counts more for me (that's it - your piece was all about process, the result was totally unpredictable). And this is why the phonoautograph strikes a real chord - that garbled voice singing clair de la lune could probably be mimicked and even improved by a Russian glitch DJ, but I wouldn't love it. Would you? The fact that it was recorded on paper - covered in soot from an oil lamp - makes it something I want to reach out for, knowing how it was made turns it into something warm and alive.

Lysander - Glad you heard what I heard! Somehow this story made it to the front page on the BBC News site, probably the Beeb engineers flipped out over it. Obviously, if you want to recreate that sound you better get some paper and an oil lamp...

0 sounds
    1 post

It's quite close to Darth Vader's noise, but I think it should be pitched up a little. :twisted:

1 sound
    4 posts

I think e123 wants to record the sound of "neighbours doing their things", the dog of the neighbour that is barking, the television and radio playing. But that there is some kind of "noise" that can be heared in the appartment that he wants to "delete". I think it's the central heater or some buzzzz sound.... And that the only solution is to turn off all things that makes annoying sounds...

0 sounds
    24 posts

Hello inchadney

I have a few quick questions, If you don't mind answering(Or anyone else who has a zoom h2 can answer)

I am seriously thinking about purchasing the Zoom H2. Would you recommend it as a good quality recorder? What kind of flaws in it have you found?

The reason why i would like to purchase one is so I can do some field recording of things like trains or cars or animals and such. When I travel. And to possibly record sound effects for my film.

Thanks in advance

338 sounds
    41 posts

jobro, i appreciate your effort ! ..thanks so much! looking forward to ear your noises
    cool
    i forgot to say previously, but naturally each author involved will be properly credited!

cheers!

44 sounds
    99 posts

yes he says that it is annoying but he also says he is trying to capture this. Maybe english is not his first language and his true meaning is getting lost in translation.

e123 - help us out with this. Do you want to capture the annoying sounds coming through the wall or remove them from your recordings????

1122 sounds
    402 posts

How do you guys want to be credited?

My stuff is in the public domain (which of course allows you to relicense them.) Being credited is of course nice. you can put a link to http://wiki.freegamedev.net/index.php/User:Qubodup if you want.

BTW, qubodup, your recordings I think will work out especially well, with possible exception of some of the "falling scream sounds." I am guessing you tried to simulate the approaching sound by raising the volume of your voice...?

Yes, the screams aren't very convincing. I did simulate it by getting closer to the microphone - I was sitting on the ground, leaning backward and screamed while leaning forward, to the recorder. Of course I might have automatically raised my voice. I'll do some more screams sometime. What will my neighbors think?

1 sound
    4 posts

"The problem is, that while any single event may not be extremely loud, it's the constant background noise that is annoying... it's as if it travelling and spreading through all the walls. "

The background noise is annoying...

44 sounds
    99 posts

Dre83

And also about the "constant background". I thought he wanted to "delete" it from the total sound.

I am pretty sure he is trying to capture the sound coming through the walls, not "delete it from the total sound". Quoting e123 "How best can I record this sort of "undirect" background noise?" He is wondering how to best record the background noise specifically. I don't see anywhere where he is looking to remove this from his recording. If you see something I missed could you show me?

1 sound
    4 posts

no, I understood it very well I think. But I wanted to confirm that there is a big different between what human ears are hearing and what micrfones do hear.

And also about the "constant background". I thought he wanted to "delete" it from the total sound.

9 sounds
    6 posts

ProTools: Select the area you want to cut out over time and tracks (more than one track can be selected so you got a block) adjust the borders with the Shift key held and cut.
    Samplitude: use the same technique and press t to cut. Adjust the fadeins and fadouts that are created automaticly

Samplitude is availabe in an SE version for a fraction of the full price including phase linear EQs and very good sounding effects and dynamic processors.. ProTools LE can be bought as a hardware bundle (The Micro-Version can be bought for about 249EUR)

I would like to suggest to use Ardour if you are on a Mac as it is free and gives you the same freedom as ProTools and Samplitude or you might as well use Reaper which is also pretty good now.

Audacity supports multi channel files but it is rather strange to work with the tool in my opinion.

The tools I mentioned help you editing audio material the best. You want precisison, fast workflows and a happy user smile I can guarantee it with them as I worked with all of them allready.

Best regards,
    Carsten

0 sounds
    1 post

Helloz! I am new here as well! grin

44 sounds
    99 posts

Dre83 - I think you misunderstood what e123 is looking to do. It sounds to me that he isn't trying to get rid of the sounds coming through the walls, but rather trying to capture that very sound.

e123 - There are two solutions that would probably work pretty well for your situation. 1. If you are wanting to hear sounds from all directions that you are hearing in your living space I would use a pair of small diaphram omni condensor microphones. Any omni microphone will work well but the small diaphram would work best for your situation. 2. If you are trying to actually hear better what is happening behind that wall I would try using a contact microphone. This will pickup the vibrations coming through the wall nicely.

Another thing to try is to put your ear up to the power outlets on the walls. A lot of sound transmission though wall comes through these weakpoints in the soundbarrier. Also your heating/AC duct work may be another good place to try if you are wanting to capture what is happening behind the walls.

Good Luck!

- Eric

0 sounds
    3 posts

Is the source compilable on linux? Haven't had much joy using gcc, have both fftw and libsndfile.

0 sounds
    5 posts

I finally uploaded one of the offending scens the second one is the cricket and night noise. Its a bigger file and I am working on it, will upload it when bandwith becomes avaliable.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IIOM8XCD

You'll notice that a gen noise was constant to the point of distraction.

I need help guys.

Thank allya

deinbofa

68 sounds
    32 posts

I was ready to leave the idea to be able to create/emulate old school hip hop beats. I was trying. The beat is made by me from an old school dirty choppy sample. You know, what I want is to create a dry loop from one-shot samples (bass drums, snares and percussion, basically) and then apply a quality reverb so that it at least reminds of the real old school beats. Sometimes, I come close, sometimes, it's far. Check my beats here at Freesound, if you want.

1366 sounds
    123 posts

I recently learned that the following have passed away;

Teo Macero, the producer and sound wizard/innovator who is probably best known for his work with Miles Davis especially on the seminal modal classic Kind of Blue album as well as Miles' later jazz fusion albums.

Buddy Miles, drummer, who was the engine of Jimi Hendrix's brilliant Band of Gypsies and also worked with Wilson Pickett, Mike Bloomfield, and Santana.

Jeff Healey, the amazing guitarist who developed a unique style of playing the guitar flat like a pedal steel due to his blindness. He had finished an album just before he died - Mess of Blues I think it is called.

Finally, the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi who, although not a musician to my knowledge, was a massive influence on the Beatles and their sound and direction.

All unique influences.

185 sounds
    79 posts

Hi smcameron,

Mike Vendetti or mikethevoiceman.com would be good. Anxious to see thegame.

Mike
    www.mikethevoiceman.com

44 sounds
    22 posts

Ok, I got you guys's sounds and ran them through my reverb machine, and I'm rigging up the code to use them now -- might still be a day or two... or three, probably not more than a week though, surely by the end of this weekend I'll be done, but sooner than that, I expect.

How do you guys want to be credited?

Alphahog, Mike Vendetti?

qubodup? Something else?

In any case, of course I'll link to the relevant freesound things.

BTW, qubodup, your recordings I think will work out especially well, with possible exception of some of the "falling scream sounds." I am guessing you tried to simulate the approaching sound by raising the volume of your voice...? When I did mine, I did have to try it a few times -- but I didn't do the volume with my voice, I did it by physically running at the microphone while screaming (and my footsteps are even audible if you listen closely, though I tried to run quietly, heh) -- then accentuated this volume change with audio editing a bit. Well a convincing scream is not so easy -- hence all the Wilhelm screams you run across, I suppose. (searching youtube for "wilhelm scream" is interesting).

But, your "Jesus Christ!" etc. are perfect for what I'm doing.