Forums

  • avatar
    1345 sounds
    1525 posts
    DARE 8 - 10 Random Samples ! - DISCUSSION


    As usual: use the discussion thread if you want to talk about the dare, discuss with others, review their entries, ask questions...
    When posting your entry, please use the main Dare thread.

    Thanks

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    896 sounds
    840 posts


    Thanks guys for the dare!! I will join..

    To hear, you first have to listen
  • avatar
    896 sounds
    840 posts


    My meditation on Dare 8 is ready.

    Have fun.

    http://soundcloud.com/klankbeeld/dare-8-www-freesound-org

    Becoming a boeddha is painful. That is what I have made by dare 8 on www.freesound.org

    The base of the dare are 10 specified samples. The only thing I did was making a composition. No effects are used.

    Used: soundsnot listed here because the syste said it was spamm

    I thanks all the users: kosten, Jovica, CyberialLainKittyCat, denalwa, grosgraingrass, domrodrig, theta4, NoiseCollector, morewavesand batchku. A special thanks to user Alianxxx and www.freesound.org for making this dare possible...

    SORRY POSTED ON WRONG PAGE>>>>

    To hear, you first have to listen
  • avatar
    896 sounds
    840 posts


    Did you hear the dare from Jeff; http://thatjeffcarterwashere.blogspot.com/2011/12/december-dare-freesound-challenge.html??

    It is obvious that he is a sound-designer. A misterius composition of the 10 sounds. Beautiful low and high music. In comparison with mine this is a dark atmosphere which I like very much. It sounds like a future factory with no people anymore. Thank you Jeff for your contribution.

    If you did not listen jet, plaese do an try it yourselfs....

    with respect

    To hear, you first have to listen
  • avatar
    1345 sounds
    1525 posts


    Jeff and Klankbeeld, welcome to the dare!

    Are you two running your own private competition to see who posts first? LOL

    I will really need to work hard for this dare - the standard has been very good.

    By the way, note to all participants... If you are just posting your music on the dare thread as a direct link to your mp3, you do not need to do attribution: everyone is using the same samples and they are at the top of the thread.
    Also i have noticed this when trying to post the samples list: Trying to post more than 6 links or so will not work as the forum system thinks you are trying to post spam.

    However, if you are also posting the music somewhere else or not posting a direct link, then please do include attribution on the other place(s).

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    896 sounds
    840 posts


    AlienXXX wrote:
    Jeff and Klankbeeld, welcome to the dare!

    Are you two running your own private competition to see who posts first? LOL

    I did win this time LOL

    To hear, you first have to listen
  • avatar
    896 sounds
    840 posts


    Thank you Bram for the post http://blog.freesound.org/?p=172.

    Come on guys and girls join the dare 8 http://www.freesound.org/forum/dare-the-community/17489/

    Its realy a lot of fun and you can learn something... wink

    To hear, you first have to listen
  • avatar
    1345 sounds
    1525 posts


    klankbeeld wrote:
    Thank you Bram for the post http://blog.freesound.org/?p=172.

    Hi klankbeeld

    Actually I posted this, not Bram. (But with Bram's approval, of course)

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    235 sounds
    425 posts


    klankbeeld wrote:
    Did you hear the dare from Jeff; http://thatjeffcarterwashere.blogspot.com/2011/12/december-dare-freesound-challenge.html??

    It is obvious that he is a sound-designer.

    Thanks Klankbeeld

    I'm only a hobbyist.

  • avatar
    1345 sounds
    1525 posts


    thatjeffcarter wrote:
    klankbeeld wrote:
    Did you hear the dare from Jeff; http://thatjeffcarterwashere.blogspot.com/2011/12/december-dare-freesound-challenge.html??

    It is obvious that he is a sound-designer.

    Thanks Klankbeeld

    I'm only a hobbyist.

    Great. There is no better labour than a labour of love.
    Nice piece (as usual) wink
    Although i won't be posting reviews till the end.

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    1345 sounds
    1525 posts


    Ultranova105, Kyster

    Welcome to the party !

    The days are going fast and I have not started on my entry yet! wink
    Maybe I can draw some inspiration from your entries.

    Also, thank you for posting detailed descriptions of what processing you have used on each sound.
    I always find it very interesting to understand how people have used the sounds in a dare. It is not always obvious, especially when heavy processing has been used and several sounds play at at the same time during the piece.

    Also, this could be of great value for others if they hear something that they like on your piece, they can try the same sort of techinques. wink

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    429 sounds
    343 posts


    AlienXXX wrote:
    Ultranova105, Kyster

    Welcome to the party !

    The days are going fast and I have not started on my entry yet! wink
    Maybe I can draw some inspiration from your entries.

    Also, thank you for posting detailed descriptions of what processing you have used on each sound.
    I always find it very interesting to understand how people have used the sounds in a dare. It is not always obvious, especially when heavy processing has been used and several sounds play at at the same time during the piece.

    Also, this could be of great value for others if they hear something that they like on your piece, they can try the same sort of techinques. wink

    Thanks Alienxxx.

    It was a very fun challenge, this time too smile I like the two other entries here a lot. And once again it proves how different the methods and approaches can be.

    Thank you once again for a great challenge smile

  • avatar
    896 sounds
    840 posts


    I knew Kyster you would be there again..

    The beginning is very logical with that beautiful flute. After this start it becomes a dark film with a lot of tension. The helicopter with the heavy drone makes it complete. Beautiful.

    thanks

    who is next??

    To hear, you first have to listen
  • avatar
    7 sounds
    8 posts


    Sorry my ignorance, which is Dare?

  • avatar
    896 sounds
    840 posts


    Jormarp wrote:
    Sorry my ignorance, which is Dare?

    Here is the dare (competition of freesounder): http://www.freesound.org/forum/dare-the-community/17489/

    To hear, you first have to listen
  • avatar
    1345 sounds
    1525 posts


    Kyster wrote:
    Thank you once again for a great challenge smile

    You are welcome!
    To be honest, i had initially planned a different challenge for december, but another freesounder suggested using 10 random samples and i thought it was a great opportunity to use an idea from someone else. I just adapted it to use the sample of the day and the general dare rules and format.

    Using the samples of the day was in fact something that had occurred to me before. We will probably do it again in the future, as you never know what you are going to get. In fact, i am as much in the dark as the rest of you!

    I think we will do it again at some point.

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    16 sounds
    22 posts


    I had alot of fun doing this... Im also used to doing this kind of work; taking scrap or left out sounds and re-mashing it to a newer product. With this kind of pratice i got pretty far with audio production.

    You guys also did terrific. I also realized that this challenge really helps identify ones style or technique. Its just awesome

    Welcome to the Unorthadox
  • avatar
    1345 sounds
    1525 posts


    Ultranova105 wrote:
    I had alot of fun doing this... Im also used to doing this kind of work; taking scrap or left out sounds and re-mashing it to a newer product. With this kind of pratice i got pretty far with audio production.

    You guys also did terrific. I also realized that this challenge really helps identify ones style or technique. Its just awesome

    Glad you had fun, that is the main idea!
    Stick around. We are trying to run a dare a month. Hope to see you in the next one too.

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    1345 sounds
    1525 posts


    If i may add something in relation to style and technique...
    Previously, when creating a piece i would normally just go with what 'flowed'.
    Now, usually, i find myself sitting down first and thinking "where do i want to go with this?"
    Am i looking for a specific mood or feel? Or planning to use certain techniques?
    Sometimes it is both.

    With regards to techniques, the important aspect is "am i going for tried and tested techiques or am i experimenying with something new?"
    Last dare, for example, i deliberately avoided certain techniques that i knew would probably work, in order to try some new things. Not all that i tried worked well. But that is not necessarily bad: it is part if the learning experience.

    hmmmm..... erm..... I forgot...
  • avatar
    5 sounds
    7 posts


    Hey guys,
    I also joined the Dare. First thing i do on the forums, i had only used freesound as a kind of database before.

    so tell me what you guys think about it. a more detailed description of what i did can be found in the actual Dare Entry thread.

    http://soundcloud.com/tarvolyth/freesound-dare-entry

    I am trying to hone my skills concerning electronic music and since sampling is a big part of it this was pretty much exactly what i was looking for smile (I usually play guitar, mostly Rock and Metal, but i love diversity)
    so thanks for this great opportunity.