Forums

7 posts

10 sounds
    24 posts
    Feature Suggestions

Here's a couple things I've been thinking about recently, which I think would be pretty neat.

1. Batch sound editing would be nice, instead of having to go back and forth to each sound to edit info etc... just having it all on one page with the list of tracks on the left and info on the right. You cloud pick a track from the left list then type the info on the right, save then click the next track for editing. Or something along them lines to speed the process up.

2. Pack renaming feature.

3. Pack images.

4. I think it'd be cool to have some kind of profile player too that allows you to navigate a users content and listen to uploaded packs by clicking on the images to bring up the play list. Or having the ability to create your own demo play list for users to listen to.

Just a couple ideas off the top of me head! grin

Click here to lend your support to: Freesound 2011-2012 donations and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !

Please donate to the Freesound Project

167 sounds
    1504 posts

I love your suggestions. I have dreamed of this...

Which is why I'm bumping up this thread.

wink

I am the thing that goes bump in the night...

10 sounds
    24 posts

wink Hopefully in the near future eh? Always takes time... I got high hopes for FreeSound though smile

Click here to lend your support to: Freesound 2011-2012 donations and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !

167 sounds
    1504 posts

Well, I am part of the moderator team and even for me it's difficult to so much as mention feature requests. They don't go down nicely; which is why I only raise an issue with the tech team rather than a request.

If the team were more open to development I would forward your request directly.

The way around it, is to keep the thread active and hope that Big Boss applies his interest. wink

I am the thing that goes bump in the night...

1118 sounds
    399 posts

I think the best for raising the chance of getting new features is:
    1) Write a good feature request at http://github.com/MTG/ (after discussing them on the forum possibly)
    2) Add Freesound's donation banner to your signature.
    3) Hope smile

Django coders or friends of coders that do Django could also fork the repository, implement features and then make pull requests.
    People who have connections to institutes and organizations that (could) make use of files on Freesound might be able to convince those connections to fund Freesound, which might allow the developers to do more development (rather than maintenance) as well.

PS:

3) Does embedding images in the description work? As for hosting images on FS, I'm against it for it creating more moderation work. What would be nice though is to have the ability to pick images from commons.wikimedia.org (although there are some images there that would be problematic here, for example offensive ones.)

4) Bookmarks do that? http://freesound.org/people/qubodup/bookmarks/

Click here to lend your support to: Freesound 2011 donations and make a donation at www.pledgie.com !
    Donate to Freesound.org
    so it can serve even more and better sounds to you in the future!
    10 sounds
    24 posts

qubodup wrote:
    I think the best for raising the chance of getting new features is:
    1) Write a good feature request at http://github.com/MTG/ (after discussing them on the forum possibly)
    2) Add Freesound's donation banner to your signature.
    3) Hope smile

Django coders or friends of coders that do Django could also fork the repository, implement features and then make pull requests.
    People who have connections to institutes and organizations that (could) make use of files on Freesound might be able to convince those connections to fund Freesound, which might allow the developers to do more development (rather than maintenance) as well.

PS:

3) Does embedding images in the description work? As for hosting images on FS, I'm against it for it creating more moderation work. What would be nice though is to have the ability to pick images from commons.wikimedia.org (although there are some images there that would be problematic here, for example offensive ones.)

4) Bookmarks do that? http://freesound.org/people/qubodup/bookmarks/

Great ideas, I'm sure there's a lot of users on here with good connections that could help push this. I'm sure there will be some collages and universities who'd be interested in donating / helping the FS project as media production, film, and audio students could make good use of the content. Just got to spread the word around!

On the topic of images, I'd go down the URL rout. Most people have a Flicker and Photobucket account that they can link pictures from. All you'd need is something simple to auto-crop the images to fit . The only trouble is, like you said, moderation as you will get some idiot uploading something inappropriate. Maybe then it's a case of just having some stock images designed to fit the criteria that we can choose from.

121 sounds
    1545 posts

1. Batch sound editing would be nice, instead of having to go back and forth to each sound to edit info etc... just having it all on one page with the list of tracks on the left and info on the right. You cloud pick a track from the left list then type the info on the right, save then click the next track for editing. Or something along them lines to speed the process up.

This is very hard to do well... And it would allow people to write even worse descriptions than now: upload 200 sounds, batch edit the descriptions to read all the same. But... I hear you.

2. Pack renaming feature.

Ah yes, that's a good one and actually not so difficult. please make a ticket on github!

Pack images:

Like... http://www.freesound.org/people/Bram/packs/2284/ ?

4. I think it'd be cool to have some kind of profile player too that allows you to navigate a users content and listen to uploaded packs by clicking on the images to bring up the play list. Or having the ability to create your own demo play list for users to listen to.

Not sure what you mean by this.

- Bram

Warning: if you break the rules, see my avatar. Freesound Admin, Moderator, Ex-Freesound-Coder & Benevolent Dictator For Life.

7 posts